Saturday, April 30, 2011

BITS & PIECES

BITS & PIECES, (Frazer Chronicles)

CHRONICLE HEADQUARTERS,

Did you ever celebrate a holiday a week after everybody else in the entire country did, well if you have, I'm sure you ran into some of the same problems that I observed from a safe distance. That's right, your editor and chief and his number one proof reader, Candy, who also doubles as the editor and chief's lovely wife just got through sponsoring a ham dinner, with all the usual trimmings.

The event, a belated Easter, actually only six days after the traditional date, April 24th. was, in a word, an event. Our youngest daughter brought her usual entourage, her husband, Jason and their cute little ones, Ariana and Autumn, while our middle daughter, Linnet brought two baby's that she was sitting for, she has a big heart.

Those of you that think that putting off for a week any kind of holiday celebration and figure it's going to run smoothly are sadly mistaken. Number one, there was a several day search for a spiral ham, "the only one my wife wants in our house," seems pre-cut spiral hams are only sold during Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter, who would have thunk it.

Pies were our next search and we never did get the minced meat or pumpkin pies, that I liked the looks of and I'll be dammed if I'm baking one from scratch, "I do lots of the cooking around our house," so I baked a chocolate cake with strawberry frosting, delicious.

Both my wife and I prepared the dinner, she did more then me, and the meal went off without much of a hitch, you know, whenever kids are involved, there are several "hitches," but we got through them. Joanna's eldest daughter, Ariana, "I think shes 5, I' better be right," only seems to eat breakfast and she pitched her usual protests, but as I say, "we got through it."

The fun part was after the 3:30 P.M. meal when  the kids started running off at the mouth and commenced to have races throughout the house, both on the main floor and where I  and my son-in-law were "hiding out" in the basement. I tell you what, "I'm getting old," I can't take it anymore, the noise was tremendous and completely blotted out the sounds coming from the television. I was left sitting there with the channel controller and no matter what I did, I couldn't hear a dam word. It was then that I knew, they had to go.

Jason was going to watch some boxing match on a pay per view thingy and he was more then ready to get the hell back to his place, some 35 miles to the west, where he could curl up with his dog, his channel changer and recline in peace and quite. I must admit, I helped Jason in his quest to get on the road every way I could without being to obvious, our daughter Joanna wanted to stay longer.

Meanwhile, our middle daughter seemed in a state of stoic satisfaction and was tyring to get her sister and two daughters to STAY the night. If that happened, it might be hours before they took the little ones and retired to her apartment for the night.

I quickly assessed my options, which I might add, at my age are few, and decided to push poor old Jason in his pleadings to leave. The time was fast approaching 5:00 P.M. and an episode of World's Dumbest was coming on Tri-T.V.  and I'd already missed one, "it's a marathon Saturday for the show," so I proceeded with my gentle prodding with my son-in-law.

The mess throughout the house was mighty, "I do most of the cleaning also," but I didn't care, one final push and Joanna finally rejected her sister's plans and relented to leaving with her husband, I had won, but it was a hollow victory, the episode that I eagerly anticipated was a re-run that I'd seen just last week. So here I am, sitting at my computer, finishing off my daily blog.

You know there's a guy who said that "life isn't always fair," well, he was right, not only is life unfair, the dam television networks need to stop re-running their programs so close to one another. I'm also adding another saying and you guys better listen up, "celebrate holidays on their day," they work out better that way.



POT BILL UP IN SMOKE, (Frazer Chronicles)

The politicians are at it again, this time it's in the state of Washington, where Governor Chris Gregoire, in her Tacoma office, has vetoed a medical marijuana legislation bill that had made it's way through both chambers of that states government. You could hear the collective smoke come right out of those people that had fought for the bills passage.

I personally detest drugs of any kind, but I do not necessarily agree with banning the use of the weedy cannabis for medical purposes. I have several aches and pains that I have seriously thought might be helped with a toke now and then. I have even thought about talking with my doctor, a very progressive type with a great first name, Paul, but as yet I haven't.

The governor's reason, "she didn't want to put state workers in danger of being arrested by federal law enforcement." Sounds kind of weak to me, I mean, she could have taken a stand, firing up a dubby herself, have you seen her picture, if anyone looks like that they need a hit, it's her.

I guess those people that feel the need for a little medical boost will have to rely on those underground suppliers that they have been using. Of course, as many people do, they can grow it themselves, a word of caution though, don't get caught, they put pot growers in jail in your state, just think, you'd have to rely on prison drugs for relief.



TEA TIME, 3:00 A.M. (Frazer Chronicle)

My wife has a friend, I'll call her Carol, "not her real name," and she was up and brewing a "spot of tea" at around 2:30 A.M. Friday morning in bloody anticipation of the royal wedding. I'll admit that Carol, "not her real name," is from merry old England and still has an uncle living there, but she's lived in the states since, God only knows how long.

My wife hasn't talked to her since meeting for lunch Thursday, but I know Carol, "not her real name," and she did in fact haul her tired butt out of bed for the wedding festivities that ensued in London Town. In fact there was other tea tootling parties all over America during this same time frame. I just can't figure out why.

In England, a "tea" not only is the beverage, which I might add, I do not like, but there is food that goes along that they eat. I guess it's cakes, or crackers or maybe a good old bismark. Again, it's like the man said, "Commonwealth, continents apart, but a royal wedding is common." It must be true.









No comments:

Post a Comment