Tuesday, February 3, 2015

ASHLEY FURNITURE…..BEAUTIFUL BUT DANGEROUS?


ASHLEY FURNITURE…..BEAUTIFUL BUT DANGEROUS?

(FRAZER CHRONICLE)

(All the News That Nobody Else Will Print)

Believe it or not, when I was younger, and working away from the safe confines of my man cave basement office, I never saw the need for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, (OSHA). OSHA was formed back in April of 1971; some would call that April 28th date a “victory for the working class of the United States.” I don’t remember OSHA coming into existence, but I do remember my first brush with two of their agents.

 

It was in the summer of 1972, I was working on carpenter job for my father and another fellow…..we were framing a house, when, just before lunch two guys came along wanting to know who was in charge. My dad, all 5’-5” of him stepped forward and said that he was, to which the bigger of the two said “that we’d have to have hard hats on before another nail could be nailed”. My dad, all 5’-5” of him told the two guys to get the hell off his job.

 

Of course they came back that very afternoon with two cops, and that was that, we’d get hard hats or the job for us would be finished. Well my dad, all 5’-5” of him told the two agents and the cops where they could get off, and told us that “the job was done”. And with little exception for the rest of my dad’s life he only did little carpenter jobs “on the side”.

 

That was my introduction to the new Occupational Safety and Health Administration, however over the years I came to understand that there was a place for OSHA in the work place, and as I got older I also became aware of how intricate OSHA and workplace safety was indelibly linked to the worker safety and the administration.

 

Since I began writing about labor, management and basically the powers-that-be in the work place, and how many, many businesses work on a bottom line mentality, I came to the realization that there was a silent war that was going on between the worker, management, and ownership.

 

I have read about hundreds of workplace injuries, mutilation and death, and almost without exception, at least during the latter part of the 20th century, there would be some bozo who was the director of Human Resource, or some safety officer who all said basically the same thing, “employee safety and wellbeing is an absolute priority”.  Wow, what I surprise, I’m shell shocked…..never before heard that old refrain!

 

Back in the early days of enlightenment, when companies saw the hand writing on the wall, they decided that something had to be done to keep the government off their collective backs. You see during the first decade of the 20th century more than 10,000 metal and non-metal mining personal in the United States lost their lives either in the mines or directly around the mines.

 

Through the 20th century the working man and women struggled for safety in the workplace, while management and business struggled just as hard to keep the statuesque intact. Do not believe all of the platitudes that management and business have in unison have babbled over the years…..they’re not true.

 

The history books are full of all sorts of business and management atrocities wrought upon their workers. Without any stretch of the imagination America’s business owners have been responsible for the cold blooded killing of thousands of their employees during the 20th century, and it continues into the 21st century.

 

Fires, poor ventilation, inadequate entry and exit access to buildings, no safety guards on belt or chain driven machinery, an absolute disregard workplace conditions with regards to worker safety, poor training, plus a whole bunch more have contributed to what the Federal Government has been pushed into enacting with regards to safety and operating regulations.

 

Remember every worker safety rule, every safety regulation that comes into effect costs the company money, and in many cases cuts productivity. Businesses in the 20th and 21st century absolutely operate on worker production per every eight hour shift. Safety meetings, training innovation, work place improvement all affect the bottom line…$$$$$$$$$$$

 

THE CURIOUS CASE OF ASHLEY FURNITURE

OSHA is proposing that Ashley Furniture must pay a staggering $1.76 million dollar fine for injured workers, not just a few workers with stubbed toes, or hang-nails, but more than 1,000 work related injuries in the past three and a half years. Wow that’s 333 workers and more a year which would make working at Ashley’s, making furniture a dangerous place to seek meaningful employment.

 

Now I’ve got to tell you that I’ve worked around all kinds of saws in my time, driven a semi-trailer, and dug a ditch or two in my time. And I understand that being around machinery that cuts, drills or sands is in and of itself dangerous. I also understand that some of those injuries that were suffered were totally the fault of the operator…..I know, I’ve seen some of the stupid things that people will do around a power hand tool.

 

But 1,000 injuries in 3.5 years, the number seems a bit high to me, and I think investigators would agree with me. OSHA identified 12 willful, 12 repeat, and 14 serious safety violations at the plant in Arcadia, Wisconsin.

 

In response Ashley said that only 1 in 4 of the cases required any time away from work…..hummmmmmmmmm, that doesn’t sound much like a good PR response. The “vast majority” of cases were relatively minor, and that the most common injury was muscle strains and sprains, which is the focus of Ashley Furniture’s ergonomics program.

 

Let me see, I get three fingers sliced off because a saw starts while I’m changing a blade, Thank God for ergonomics, they’ll really come into play when I need to do something that requires finger dexterity. Ashley can appeal the fine, which in most cases is the practice, and also it’s the practice for the fine to be hugely reduced for a whole bunch of different reasons.

 

Workers unite, but keep your finders in your pants pockets.

 

HAVE A NICE DAY

 

No comments:

Post a Comment