Thursday, January 23, 2014

AM I THE ONLY ONE WITH A FUNNY FEELING IN THE PIT OF MY STOMACH?


AM I THE ONLY ONE WITH A FUNNY FEELING IN THE PIT OF MY STOMACH?

(Green Bay Press Gazette, Nathan Phelps, Lewis C. Solomon)

(Kimberly Firetag, Robert F. McNergney, Susan Hansen)

(National Teachers Association, Frazer Chronicle)

 

I’m scanning the local rag newspaper this morning (Green Bay Press Gazette) when I run across an article titled “2 found dead at west-side apartment were mother, son” “The two people found dead in an apartment on Green Bay’s west side were identified Wednesday as a 33-year-old women, and her 9-year-old son.”

 

“April Veraghen and her son, Damien Veraghen were found dead Tuesday in an apartment on Fisk Street police said.” Authorities will continue their investigation, and stressed the fact that the public is in no danger.  Autopsies and toxicology tests were scheduled for Wednesday, January 22.

 

There won’t be any further information until after both the autopsies and toxicology tests are completed, but I was relieved to hear that there wasn’t any danger to the public. Although I’m at a loss to figure out how police arrived at their opinion, I’ll sleep better at night knowing that the Green Bay City Police, (GBPD) feel no need that people should be on guard.

 

In another move, at the Beaumont Elementary School, where young Damien attended school, his class-mates received a sealed letter for parents, notifying parents and guardians of the fact that the students had in fact lost a class-mate.

 

The letter was composed by Principal Chad Collier, Social Worker Heather Hougard, school psychologist, (we’ll come back to this one) Kelley Selissen, and Counselor Angela Watt, my, my, what care, comfort and attention 3rd graders get in today’s public schools.

 

“We feel it is important as parents and guardians, that you have the opportunity to be the first one to share this news with your children according to your family values and religion beliefs” the letter said. At between 8 and 10 years old, did you ever get a sealed letter that you left sealed………………I didn’t think so. Either before you walked a block, or rode a school bus a half mile, you were buzzing to your friends about little Johnny.

 

TEACHERS FIRST AND FOREMOST ARE…..TEACHERS

A teacher is a wonderful person, they are entrusted to be role models at least 7 hours a day, a hell of-a lot-more time than Ma and Pa spends with them. Some walk to school, others ride the public transit, and some ride busses. Parents also deliver their kids to their designated school at a pre-determined time in the morning, and pick them up at a certain time in the afternoon.

 

While during the hours of 7:30 A.M. 3:15 P.M. your children is reading, writing, adding and subtracting…..and is also learning how to get along with his peer group, and take orders from a teacher, and his/her assistants. Some would argue which part of a school day is more important, and I’m not here to argue the values, but what I’ve described pretty much covers a typical grade schoonlers day.

 

Being 9, and in the 3rd grade is a great time, I actually can recall some of the highlights of my 3rd grade year, the only girl in my life was my mother, I wasn’t worried about being the best at anything, and the only guy who I had a problem with was a dude who took exception of me being a galoot…..but other than Dan  Bailey, I didn’t have a care in the world, nor was I intimidated by anything, yes, 9 was a great year.

Teachers somewhere along the line lost sight of what their real mission as a teacher was supposed to be, and for that, I think everybody suffers. Either on staff or having access to a school psychologist to me seems at bit much. Writing a sealed-secret letter home for parents…..using 9 year old students as carrier pigeons also seems a little melodramatic.

 

With regards to a behavioral psychologist on staff (come on, give me a break), how often is there a need for a behavior experienced expert who can provide therapeutic services to 9 year olds, hell these people administering their cures to high school and college aged kids…..talk about over your head, those poor 9 year olds.

 

Oh sure, you’ll catch the occasional soccer mom who uses every ounce of extra service that she can possibly wring out of a grade school setting…..”can’t hardly wait till little Johnny can perform in high school, and make mom so proud.”

 

Teachers are manning their posts for one reason, and one reason only…..to administer the three R’s reading, righting, and rithmatick, that’s it, there ain’t no more. And with some of the (ACT) (American College Testing) and SAT (Scholastic Assessment Tests) at historic lows, they really need to bone up on what their objectives really need to be.

 

I helped put my three kids through school…..my wife did more, I was kind of around as the Gestapo enforcer…..and sometimes didn’t even handle that job very well. School for kids is tough, it isn’t tougher on parents…..but it almost is.

 

Schools and teachers are NOT SUPPOSED REPLACE PARENTS, they’re supposed to augment them, parents still need to be in charge, it’s imperative to the parent, kid relationship, and to the family circle. Being a parent is tough, really tough, but parents need to be everything that the word parent implies, if you don’t know, look it up, you’ll be surprised at the meaning.

 

COUNSELORS AND BEHAVIORAL SPECIALTS

To a degree these people are living a life of scamdom, (I think I just invented a new word, scamdom) ain’t life wonderful! These people have a special place, of that I am sure, however, their place ain’t in grade school, those kids aren’t aware enough yet…..and thank God, kids need to be kids for as long as they can get away with it.

 

Football, basketball, ice hockey and baseball are supposed to be seasonal sports (like certain times of the year) but coaches are so demanding that they want their student athletes to participate in summer sports programs so that they’ll be better in their sport for themselves, their coach, and the school.

 

The exact same can be said about academic progress, reading, writing and all the other academic situations that students can get themselves into. As I mentioned a paragraph or two ago, KIDS NEED TO BE KIDS, which is a full time job, and it’s a wonderful job.

 

Teachers, counselors, principals, coaches and parents get in the way of this responsible that kids need to fulfill, ultimately being a kid will be one of the biggest of life’s tests, not being a kid impedes a kid from growing up…..hell I’m 70, and I’m still a kid…..let your kids be kids!

 

HAVE A NICE DAY!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment