Monday, April 9, 2012

WEEK-END HEADLINES, WHAT A TREASURE TROVE!

WEEK-END HEADLINES, WHAT A TREASURE TROVE! (Frazer Chronicle)


What a treasure of week-end stories, a seeming never ending subject matter to read, to think about and, if you’re like me, to write about. Most of the stuff won't last, or the headlines or story lines will be altered to conform in the days and even weeks ahead. That’s the beauty of the current news gathering apparatuses across the world today; they can be changed on almost a moment’s notice.


Before we get started I guess I first need to take note of possible the greatest of seasons to write in, the spring time. Basketball and hockey are winding down at the professional level and their playoff series will soon begin and seemingly last until just before their training camps open.


College basketball, with all its divisions, 1, 2, 3, the different classifications, N.A.I.A. J.C. and a seeming never ending set of tournament games, division 1,2,3, the N.I.T. the Center Jump tournament, the 2nd best tournament, and the blind/deaf and can't walk playoffs.


N.C.A.A. hockey is almost as bad, with their divisions, again, 1,2,3, their different divisions and their "Frozen Fours" and their slap shot-shooting, break-aways, and penalty shooting, it's hard to keep track if all that is going on. "Good thing I'm retired," gives me the chance to keep up.


Not only are these sports winding down, the 162 game struggle that baseball season brings at the professional level begins, this season, over and over again. Whatever happened to the traditional Cincinnati opener in the Queen city?


Major League Baseball or MLB seems to be losing its grip on the very game that these people report about. Have you ever noticed the "wall to wall," or in this case, the "chalk-line to chalk-line" talk that goes on about every stinking pitch, from the pitchers aspect, the hitters’ aspect, to the managers and the coaches, to the fan in the stands. Every game is a single battle, with intricate moving parts, that dissected becomes more then itself and "morphs" into a life and death affair.


During my playing time, I played a little over 80 games in a single season and can tell you one thing, even at the low level that I was participating in, "every game was not a life and death struggle," we just wanted to get the damn thing over so we could go and drink beer.



Now the MBL opens their season on several fronts, Tokyo, Japan, and several cities in the United States before the "old traditional" game in Cincinnati. It's for the money.....I know, but isn't every home opener across the United States and Canada a financial success? Why not leave some things alone.....in honor of tradition.



Gee...professional sports weren't even a head-liner today, but I just felt like I needed to get my feelings out there. Like many of my readers, they are traditionalists and are as "peeved" about what is happening to the game that they love as I am.


Now on to the business at hand.....headlines over the week-end:


MAFIA'S SHADOW OVER ITALY FESTIVALS:

Well let’s see, I guess if the Italian Mafia wanted to “shadow" a festival, whatever that means, they could. Mean in excess of a hundred years, it's been their job, to shadow everything, life, death, business, parades, relationships and oh ya.....politics and the law. I know this, I watched Elliot Ness on television.


IN THE TITANIC WAKE 100 YEARS ON!

Once again, the hold that a tragedy has on people is ever amassing, at least to me. Now if you could drag up the old tub and dissect the remains that I would be interested in. But to re-watch any of the old movies, forget it. Kate Winslet did have a lovely body, and of course the scene where Jack," Leonardo DeCaprio" is painting her is my favorite, but one scene is not reason enough for paying to re-watch a movie.


U.S. POLICE TOOK CELLPHONE WITHOUT WARRENTS:

So, what’s your point, cops routinely take stuff, smash stuff, or confiscate crap every day just because.....they can, Go ahead, "make my day" or “try and do something about it.....punk."


GOP FAULTS OBAMA FOR ENERGY, KEYSTONE XL PIPLINE:

The last time I checked, President Obama was not on the board of directors of any of the petroleum companies in either the United States or any other country. Also the last time I checked, no sitting president had enough control to instantly change the price of gas at the pumps. You "drill baby drill" bunch ought to read just a bit more about what (might) happen it one of those Keystone pipes broke, ugly disaster, tremendous clean-up, and probable water contamination.


U.S. PLAYING CAT AND MOUSE WITH PAKESTAN:

Surely you jest......"I'm not kidding and don't call me Shirley."


WE WANT WAR AND WE WANT IT NOW:

I'm not kidding; I mean war.....right now.


RUNNING ON EMPTY:

Funds dry up, work centers struggle to remain open.....nation-wide.


FOREIGN PRESS SHOWN NORTH KOREAN ROCKET:

You show me yours, I'll show you mine!


Beauties huh.....and every one a real headline somewhere in the world this morning, it is true, a real story is stranger than fiction every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment