Monday, August 26, 2013

HAS IT CHANGED THAT MUCH?


HAS IT CHANGED THAT MUCH?

(Eric Sheninger, Amber M. Winkler, Janie Scull)

(Dara Zeehandlaar, Chester E. Finn Jr.)

(USATODAY, Michael J. Petrilli, Frazer Chronicle)

 

 

 

When I went to school, or what they used to call preparatory-school, things were different, I mean really different. Step outta line and you got a whack on the back of the head by Mr. Bright, (Andersonville Grade School,) between Fenton and Clarkston, Michigan,  or a crack on the butt with a wooden paddle with holes drilled through it by Mr. McDuff at (Union Street School) in Traverse City, Michigan.

 

Ya, times have changed, corporal punishment is a thing of the past, I’m not sure that I agree with its abolishment. Let’s be honest, without exception, kids especially boys need a good blast to the butt every once and a while. Girls used to slide, but what the hell, they usually always did…..even if they were at fault.

 

The style of teaching also has changed…..usually for the betterment of the profession, don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of those people who fights changes if the changes make sense to me. I dislike and am apt to fight change just for the sake of change. In many instances change for change sake alone is akin to saber rattling, and a look at me kind of attitude…..you know, a job security move!

 

I read an article by Eric Sheninger that appeared in yesterday’s USA WEEKEND MAGAZINE, titled “What Teachers Want You To Know”. It was interesting to the point of some enlightenment for me. I am not one of these senior citizens who figure that property taxes are too high…..so let’s gut some of the public schools programs.

 

Children are our future and the future of our nation, and the way that they think, say, and do seems to me, to be pretty damned important. So when people talk about scaling back on almost any public school programming, I get a bit antsy. The importance of an education is really our legacy, and we can do no less than our best in this regard.

 

That said, I never-the-less hearken back to my experience in school and what I took with me on my trip through life. Hopefully I have several miles to go before my journey is over because life still fascinates me and I am in an almost constant astonishment of the new things that I either pick up, or rediscover…..life for me is still an amazing ride.

 

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid in school, growing up in middle class America, attending an almost all white school, I never really understood the benefits of an education would mean to me. I wasn’t a bad kid, just not very smart, everything that I did that was wrong; I got caught for…..and was punished.

 

I remember the time when I put thumb tacks on every chair in my 6th grade class during one lunch break, we’d file in, our teacher, Mr. Anderson leading the way, (he was up on a pedestal) we’d all stand next to our desks waiting for the last student to enter, and with Mr. Anderson leading the way, (again) we’d sit down in unison.

 

 

 

Well you can imagine the yelps when everybody sat down on their tacks, it was great…..that is until I got caught; I was the only one laughing…..see what I mean about not being very smart! I was sent straight to the school boiler room for another session with the paddle with the drill holes and Mr. McDuff.

 

Things were different when I was in school…..of course, there wasn’t the awareness by teachers, they didn’t have the tools necessary to cope with malcontents like me. I needed help, and didn’t get it, but some 50 years later, looking back, most of the educators that I encountered did try their best to educate, I just happened to be an almost poster child for what a disgruntled student looked like.

 

With little exception, what I took away from my preparatory years in school and used during my lifetime are really treasured experiences, and have made me a better person. However the things that were available for my benefit, the things that I discarded, or didn’t take advantage of…..have dogged me my entire life.

 

THE TEACHING PROFESSION TODAY…..IN THE 21ST CENTURY

The article by Mr. Sheninger does have an interesting aspect, and takes the reader inside the thinking of some of today’s educators. I am an opinionated person, as everybody who reads my Blog knows, I pride myself in my opinions, so much so that I feel I need to share them with my readers.

 

Both Mr. Sheninger and I resemble one another in that aspect, but in certain areas of Eric Sheninger’s article I of course must take exception to. The teaching profession has never been what I would consider a babysitting service, or a place where kids can go and hang out. In another area that I would question the article is extra curriculum activity. Schools, public schools were never set up to be bastions of athletic prowess.

 

The home-life of students is one tough issue to overcome for an educator; it really isn’t their sphere of expertise, pretty much because they don’t really know what is going on. Teachers are first and foremost educators, and students might be better served with the use of guidance councilors, or individuals schooled in behavioral situations.

 

I am in total agreement with Sheninger’s thoughts regarding involvement with parents, teachers, curriculum and periodic visits…..but visits that are scheduled that coincide with parents work schedules. Blogs, Web-sites, twitter, and the like aren’t really for everybody. Some people can’t afford the machines, others are computer-illiterate, and some simply don’t give a damn.

 

Parents should be duty-bound to attend (parent-teacher) conferences on a regular basis…..say once every six weeks, or maybe even monthly. There are many changes that need to be put into place by the teaching profession as well as the parent-profession. As I’ve already mentioned, change is necessary and tough at the same time.

 

Teachers, school administrations and parents are all on the same team, of that there is no denying this fact, the parent who is quick to defend his/her child is usually doing the kid a huge disservice. Way too often there seems to be a division or a wall between cooperation of teachers and parents.

 

Some parents will always avail themselves to the programs and suggestions that come from school, while unfortunately for others, it ain’t ever gonna happen. I got little help from my parents, I know that they both loved me, and that they did their best…..I was just a special case that they didn’t figure out.

 

 

There is another area where Eric Sheninger and I agree on, the merit system that involves using rewards or punishment for academic work. School work needs to be completed…..even if it’s incorrect. Kids need to learn that whatever task is laid before them, their best effort is expected. Rewards for effort by parents are ridiculous as is punishment for work that is done…..but wrong. To be wrong is a human trait, as is good, hard work, and results.

 
HAVE A NICE DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment